Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Carlton 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

CARLTON is a small but pleasant village and parish, in Hoxne hundred, Blything union, county court district of Framlingham and Saxmundham, rural deanery of Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk, about three quarters of a mile north-north-east from Saxmundham, built on the side of a hill fronting the east, about 300 yards off the Yarmouth road. The church of St. Peter consists of a nave only, and is built of flint, in the Norman style: the tower is of brick, and contains 4 bells: the pulpit, of carved oak, is of ancient workmanship, and bears the date 1626: the communion table Is also of elaborate carved work, and is dated 1630. The register commences from 1638. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Kelsale, joint annual value 700, in the gift of Col. Bence, and held by the Rev. Lancelot R. Brown, M.A. There is a handsome seat, called Carlton Hall, in the vicinity, situate in a large, finely wooded park, the property of Lady Stradbroke; the present occupant is Richard Garrett, Esq., J.P., the spirited proprietor of the well-known Leiston Iron Works. There is also another well built mansion in the neighbourhood, called The Rookery, belonging to Richard Garrett, Esq., but at present unoccupied. Here are clay and sand pits, and potters' earth. This parish contains 543 acres of land and a population of 116.
Parish Clerk, Charles Fisher.
Letters through money order which is also the nearest money order office
Garrett Richard esq. , J.P. Carlton Hall
Barber William, farmer
Blowers John, farmer
Fairs George, farmer
Fisher Charles, shoe maker
Kerridge George, bricklayer
Low George, thatcher
Mantle Edward, farmer
Whiting William, farmer

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:41 GMT