• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    History of Suffolk - Bramford 1865

    Post Office Directory of 1865.

    For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

    BRAMFORD is a parish, considerable village, and railway station, on the Eastern Union Railway and navigable river Gipping, 70 ¾ mile's from London, 2 ½ northwest from Ipswich, in Bosmere and Claydon hundred and union, Ipswich county court district, rural deanery of Bosmere, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk. The church of St. Stephen, which is in the course of entire restoration, is a neat building, in the Early English and Decorated styles of architecture, with square tower and leaden spire. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Borstal, annexed, joint annual value £79,in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held by Rev. Wm. John Picket Bedford, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. There is also a small Independent chapel. The Hall, formerly the seat of the Acton family, belongs to Rear Admiral Sir G. N. Broke-Middleton, Bart., C.B., but is now vacant: it is a handsome brick-built mansion in the modern style, and with a good prospect. W.Acton,in 1703,bequeathed to the poor of Bramford £200 for the purchase of land, now consisting of a cottage and 14 acres of land, and let for £20 per annum, for a quarterly distribution of bread and meat. Francis Broke left a yearly modus of £5 for the benefit of the poor. The almshouses consist of three tenements, occupied by six widows. The annual value of assessed property was £3,881 15s. in 1846. Here is a common of 10 acres, and 10 acres in cottage gardens. Rear-Admiral Sir George V. Broke Middleton, Bart., C.B., is lord of the manor and owner of a large portion of the soil. George Thomas, Esq., is lord of the manor of Lovetofts, in which stands The Hall, on the site of the ancient seat of the Tibetots. Here is a paper mill, which employs part of the population. There is a police station of the East Suffolk constabulary. Here are chalk pits, and extensive manure and cement works. The soil is light; subsoil, sand, and in places chalk. In 1861 the population was 1,019; area, 3,2226 acres.
    Parish Clerk, Jeremiah Pallant.
    POST OFFICE.—James King, receiver. Letters are received through Ipswich, arrive at 7 a.m. Box closes at 6.30 p.m. The nearest money order office & post office savings bank, is at Ipswich
    INSURANCE AGENT.—Liverpool & London & Globe Fire & Life, William Valentine Squirrell
    East Suffolk Constabulary Police Station
    National School,William Dye, master; Mrs. Dye, mistress
    Eastern Union Railway Station, Richard Dalley, booking porter
    Bedford Rev. William John Picket, M.A. Vicarage
    Catchpole Nathaniel, esq. White house, Whitton road
    Leggatt John, esq
    Leverett Mrs. The Grange
    Mills John Hillam, esq. Hill house
    Morgan, Miss
    Mumford Robert William, esq
    Wainwright Samuel, esq
    Wood Mr. Richard Rudlnnd, Lovetofts

    Bagley John, sen. blacksmith
    Baxter Benjamin, grocer &c
    Bowman Rachael (Mrs.), baker
    Branford Benjamin, farmer
    Bumstead Hy. market gardener & carter
    Burch John, saddle & harness maker
    Chamberlain James, boot & shoe maker
    Chapman & Co. chemical manure manufacturers
    Daines John, farmer, Dairy farm
    Farrow it Co. roman cement & plaster of paris &. manufacturers; works & offices at Ipswich, Yarmouth & Norwich
    Fiske George, farmer, Thornbush
    Goddard Ehenezer, tar distilling, naphtha & asphalte works; & Orwell Works road, Ipswich
    Hardy George, butcher
    Hardy Pearl, Cock inn
    Harrison Francis, carpenter & joiner
    Haward Henry, farmer
    Hitchcock Ebinezer (Mrs.), miller
    Hughes Thomas, carpenter
    James John, grocer, Whitton road
    Jolley — (Mrs.), farmer, Bullen farm
    King & Co. paper manufacturers
    King James, wheelwright & blacksmith, & post office receiving house
    Laws Samuel, bricklayer
    Lewis Eliza (Sirs.), shopkeeper
    Lewis Mary Ann (Mrs.), seminary
    Lovely William, Crown inn, & nurseryman, Whitton road
    Mackay John, nurseryman, florist & seedsman
    Mays Thomas, boot & shoe maker
    Morgan Margaret (Miss), ladies' boarding school, Pigeon Farm house
    Mudd John, farmer, Tye farm
    Mumford Robt. Wm. farmer, Grove house
    Mumford William Arthur, farmer, Bullen Hall farm
    Packard Edward & Co. Manufacturing chemists etc
    Pallant Jeremiah, thatcher & parish clerk
    Pallant Robert, bricklayer
    Pallant Thomas, butcher & farmer
    Palmer Henry, Angel inn, & maltster
    Squirrell William Valentine, grocer & draper, & agent for the Liverpool & London & Globe Fire & Life Insurance Company
    Tolmash William, tailor
    Wake Henry, farmer
    Wood Jonathan, whitesmith, Whitton road
    Woodward James, shopkeeper & dealer

    And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:16:32 GMT