Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Bramfield 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

BRAMFIELD is a village and parish, 2 ½ miles south of Halesworth, its post town and county court district, and the navigable Blyth, and 4 from Y ox ford, in Blylhing hundred and union, rural deanery of Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk. The church of St. Andrew is an old building, in the Perpendicular style, having a round tower containing 5 bells, detached at a distance of about 30 feet: in the church is a screen of great beauty, on the lower part of which have been discovered some ancient paintings of the Apostles : there are also two very handsome polished marble monuments of Arthur Coke, Esq. (third son of Lord Chief Justice Coke), and Elizabeth, daughter of Sir George Waldegrave; there are also several brasses and black stones for the families of Rabett and Nelson. The living is a vicarage, with yearly rent-charge of £210 in lieu of vicarial tithes, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Nicholas Simons, M.A. Here are chapels for the Independents and Primitive Methodists. The Earl of Stradbroke is lord of the manor. There are charities for the town-house, and for teaching six poor children. The great tithes are held by Robert Haward, Esq., commuted at £420 per annum. Bramfield Hall, formerly the seat of the Rev. Reginald Rabett, M.A., whose family have lived in the parish about four centuries, is now the residence of Col. Robinson. There is also a handsome brick-built residence belonging to Mrs. Tatlock, who resides there at times. The Castle Yard is an ancient British earthwork, in which have been discovered bronze and stone celts. The area is 2,546 acres, and the population in 1861 was 610; the gross value is £5,018 15s. and the rateable value £4,280.
Parish Clerk, Edward Marslain.
POST OFFICE.—Benjamin Cattermull, receiver. Letters arrive from Saxmundham at 6 a.m. & are dispatched at 7.50 p.m
National School, Mrs. Sarah Clow, mistress
CARRIERS.—The Halesworth & Bungay carriers for Saxmundham, Woodbridge & Ipswich, pass through

Bailey Miss
Haward Robert, esq
Higham Mr. Samuel Stagoll,
Philpot Mr. Francis
Robinson Col. The Hall
Simons Rev. Nicholas, M.A. Vicarage
Tatlock Mrs. Bramfield house

Andrews William, farmer
Barnabv James, farmer
Carver Jacob, Swan
Cuttermull Benjamin, grocer & draper
Chapman Robert, rat destroyer & farmer
Clark James, farmer
Cole Alfred, shopkeeper & stock dealer
Cole John, farmer
Croft James, miller
Cupper Francis, boot & shoe maker
Edwards Eliza (Mrs.), straw bonnet maker
Edwards Robert William, beer retailer
Furrington Robert, boot & shoe maker
Hallam Isaac, farmer
Haward Charles, farmer
Haward George, farmer
Higham Samuel Stagoll, miller & farmer, Brook hall
Higham William, maltster, brewer & farmer
Higham William Aldis, farmer
Howlett Charles Henry, saddler & harness maker
Howlett Horace, farmer & horse dealer
Hurren William, farmer
Kemp James, bricklayer & farmer
Kerridge Samuel, boot & shoe maker
Kerridge Thomas, farmer
Lee Charles, farmer, Broad Oak farm
Lewell William, farmer
Lock Samuel Wright, tailor & draper, & collector of poor rates
Marsden John Marmaduke, carpenter
Marslain Edward, tailor
Martin William, farmer
Money Joseph, farmer
Noy William, wheelwright & shopkeeper
Read James, farmer
Row Francis, farmer
Smith Thomas, blacksmith
Squire Maria (Mrs.), baker
Tennant John, Queen's Head, & stock dealer
TilneyRobert, whitesmith & shopkeeper
Wright William, blacksmith

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:16:04 GMT