Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Blythburgh 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

BLYTHBURGH is an ancient but decayed town and parish, in Blything hundred and union, Halesworth county court district, rural deanery ol Dunwich, Suffolk archdeaconry, and Norwich bishopric, East Suffolk, on the small navigable river Blyth, 4 miles west from Southwold, 6 east, from Halesworth, 30 from Ipswich, and 37 from Norwich. The church of the Holy Trinity is very extensive, and was formerly a fine specimen of the Perpendicular style of architecture, but is now much defaced by unsightly repairs: the length is 127 feet, and the width 54: there are remains of stained glass, and some monuments. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £80, in the gift of Sir John Ralph Blois, Bart . and held by the Rev. E. L. Blackmnn, D.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a Sunday school held in the church. This ancient town is said to have been the burial-place of Anna, king of the East English, who was slain in a great tight with Penda, King of the Mid English. In the middle ages this was a considerable trading and fishing town, and had a weekly market and two annual fairs. Sessions were held here, and there was a gaol. Some remains exist of a priory for canons of St. Augustin, and of another religious house. The town was ruined by the shoaling of the river, the destruction of the religious houses, and the ravages of a great fire in 1676. Many Roman coins and urns have been found here. The population in 1861 was 832; the area, inclusive of the hamlets of Hinton and Bulcamp, is 4,116 acres. The land is arable and pasture.
At Bulcamp (or Bulchamp) is the Union Workhouse for the hundred of Blything. The union comprises the following parishes, viz.:—Aldringham, Benacre, Blyford, Blythburgh, Bramfield, Brampton, Carlton, Chediston, Cookley, Covehithe, Cratfield, Darsham, Dunwich, Easton Bavents, Frostenden, Halesworth, Henham, Henstead, Heveningham, Holton, Huntingfield, Kelsale, Knodishall, Leiston, Linstead Magna, Linstead Parva, Middleton, Peasenhall, Reydon, Rumburgh, Sibton, Sotherton, South Cove, Southwold, Spexhall, Stoven,Theberton, Thorington, Ubbeston, Uggeshall, Walberswick, Walpole, Wangford, Wenhashas ton, Westhall, Westleton, Wissett, Wre tham, and Yoxford.
Hinton is a mile and a half south-east.
Letters received through Halesworth; letters for Hinton are received through Westleton. The nearest money order office is at Halesworth
Blything Union.—Rev. John Frederick Noott, chaplain; Charles White, Bulcamp, clerk; George Funnell, master; Miss E. Baker, matron: medical officers—J. S. Harris, Halesworth, for the first district, & house surgeon; F. Haward, Halesworth, for second district; Henry Gramshaw, Laxfield, for third district; Joseph John Lay, M.D. Peasenhall, for fourth district; J. Packard, Leiston, for fifth district; R. V. Gorham, Yoxford, for sixth district; F. H. Vertue, Southwold, for seventh district; & Octavius William Hoffman, Wrentham, for eighth district: Henry White, Halesworth; John Rouse, Westleton; George Rackham, Wenhaston,relieving officers; William Hilton, schoolmaster

Aldis Simeon, wheelwright
Burton James jun, shopkeeper
Burton James sen, shoe maker
Cooper Rouse John, farmer
Etheridge Noah, shopkeeper
Fairhead James, shopkeeper
Gilbert John, farmer
Osborn John Ezekiel, farmer
Pattman Mary Ann (Miss), school
Rose James A, miller
Trueman Henry, White Hart
Tuthill George, farmer
Whincop Charles, blacksmith
Woods John, farmer

Ling William, farmer
White Charles, farmer

Cole Eliza (Mrs), farmer
Cooper James Benjamin, farmer, Hinton lodge
Hawes Samuel, farmer
Tacon Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer
Wigg Lewin, farmer
Young Charles, farmer, Hinton hall
Young William, cattle dealer, Hinton hall

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:14 GMT