Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Blundeston 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

BLUNDESTON is a large parish and village, in Mutford and Lothingiand hundred and incorporation, county court district of Lowestoft, rural deanery of Lothingiand, Suffolk archdeaconry, and Norwich diocese, East Suffolk, 3 miles east from Somerleyton station, 147 from London by rail and 116 by road, 7 south-west from Yarmouth, and 3 north-west from Lowestoft. The church of St. Mary is an old building, with open seats, a low embattled tower containing 2 bells, and chancel, with buttresses. The register dates from 1558. The living Is a rectory, consolidated with that of Flixton, the tithes are commuted at 610 per annum, with residence, and 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the trustees of Mrs. H. W. Cory, and held by the Bev. Edward Missenden Love, M.A., of Somerleyton; the Rev. Robert Woolmer Cory, M.A., curate. Here is a village school for boys and girls, conducted on the National system, partly supported by a small endowment, and an Infant school, incorporated with the former. The poor have the benefit of several small charities. There is a chapel for the Wesleyans.
R. H. Reeve, Esq., is lord of the manor. Here are two sheets of water, which were formerly decovs. The population in 1861 was 664; acres, 1,573.
Parish Clerk, George Houghton.
POST OFFICE. Mrs. Caroline Smith, receiver. Letters arrive via Lowestoft at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4.45 p.m.
The nearest money order office is at Lowestoft
Village School, William Henry Wright, master; Mrs. Maria Wright, mistress

Barber Thomas, esq
Cory Rev. Robert Woolmer, M.A. (curate], The Lawn
Grigson Mr
Johnson Mrs. The Lodge

Booth Gidney, farmer
Boyce William, jun. blacksmith
Boyce William, sen. blacksmith
Bristow Philip, tailor
Brown James, tailor & beer retailer
Cleveland James, wheelwright
Cooper John, bricklayer
Cooper Thomas, miller
Gedge Robert, shopkeeper
Goffin Robert, wheelwright
Horth William, farmer
Jackson Benjamin, builder & brick maker
Jones Thomas, plumber
Laws W. farmer
Marjoram William M. Plough, & butcher
Osborn James, bricklayer
Rivett William, jun. farmer & cattle dealer
Rounce James, carpenter
Rounce Robert, bootmaker & beer retailer
Rudd William, market gardener
Sleater Mary (Mrs.), butcher
Smith Caroline (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Waller Alfred, plumber
Ward Samuel, market gardener

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:15:12 GMT