• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • Some ads & my pub pages

    Suffolk and Pub History in progress

    Suffolk and UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Barningham, Blackbourn Hundred
    Google maps of the Blackbourn Hundred show the following places:

    View Larger Map

    Public Houses in Barningham

    BARNINGHAM in 1844, is a scattered village and parish, 6 miles W. of Botesdale, and N. N. E. of Ixworth, has 508 inhabitants, and 1,655 acres of fertile land. John Thurston, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to R. Bevan, Esq., T. Thornhill,Esq., Caius College, Cambridge, and a few smaller owners. Barningham Park estate is mostly in Bardwell parish, adjoining Euston Park, and is the property of the Duke of Grafton, whose family purchased it of the Sheltons, formerly seated there. The Church, (St. Andrew) is a neat edifice with a tower and three bells. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in K. B. at 31 9s. 0d., and united with Coney Weston, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. George Hunt, M. A. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1843, for a yearly modus of 967. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1811. The Town Estate consists of several tenements, occupied by poor families, rent free; and 17a. 3b. 34 P. of land let for 34 18s. per annum, which is applied in the service of the church and the payment of salaries to the parish clerk and constable, except 21s. a year which is distributed in bread among the poor, as the rent of about half an acre, purchased with 10 given by William Fuller, in 1622. The Poor's Allotment consists of 20a. let for 21 a year, and was awarded to the poor in lieu of their right of cutting fuel on the open lands. The rents are distributed in coals.
    Bloomfield Elias, shoemaker
    Bucket Ann & Son, blacksmiths
    Catton Charles Walton, machine maker, wheelwright, & blacksmith
    Cook Robert, victualler, Swan Inn
    Fisor. Thomas, corn miller & merchant, Steam mill
    Frost John, bricklayer
    Frost Mary, beer seller
    Hunt Rev. George, M.A., Rectory
    Keen Hannah, schoolmistress
    Nickerson James, butcher & shopkeeper
    Ruddock Edward, stone mason
    Stimson Robert, beer seller
    Sturgeon James, gamekeeper
    Tydeman Martin, shoemaker
    Wells Rev William MA, Curate
    Whitehead Philip, manager
    Wiseman George, gentleman
    FARMERS.
    Bishop Joseph
    Downing George
    Fison Thomas
    Mullenger John
    Sare Robert
    Wright Dd, Hall
    Grocers & Drapers
    Bishop Joseph (& tailor)
    Tydeman Zebdh


    Barningham in Kellys 1879 Directory.
    Barningham is a village and a parish 8 miles south east from Thetford, 5 south from Harling Road station and 11 north east from Bury St Edmunds, in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn Hundred.
    The church of St Andrew is an ancient flint building and was restored in 1877. The register dates from 1877.
    The Wesleyans and Methodists have chapels here.
    Parish Clerk, Martin Tydeman
    Post Office, Charles Edward Catton.
    National School, Miss Esther Cooper, mistress
    Assessor & Collector of Taxes, Charles Edward catton
    Carrier to Bury - Elijah Ransom.

    Bishop John
    Edwards Rev Arthur Wm MA, Rectory
    Lingwood Walter, The Lodge
    Lockwood Rev Henry John [curate]
    Tydeman Mrs

    Commercial
    Baker James, farmer
    Bloomfield Edward, bricklayer
    Catton Charles Edward, general smith
    Catton James, thatcher
    Catton Mary Ann (Mrs), straw bonnet maker
    Dennis William, farmer
    Easlea Dennis, farmer
    Fison James, farmer
    Goodchild john, farmer
    Holding George, farmer
    Lingwood Walter, miller & corn merchant
    Lusher henry, blacksmith
    Nickerson James, farmer
    Nickerson George, Royal George, & agricultural & general engineer
    Ransom Elijah, shopkeeper & carrier
    Ransom John, farmer & cattle dealer
    Raynham Thomas, land steward to Cornell Fison esq, The Hall
    Saunders Robert Thomas, grocer
    Tydeman Martin, shoe maker
    Whittaker Matilda (Mrs), Swan

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:17:42 GMT