• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Barnham, Blackbourn Hundred
    Google maps of the Blackbourn Hundred show the following places:

    View Larger Map

    Barnham Public Houses

    BARNHAM in 1844, is a pleasant village, 2 1/2 miles S. of Thetford, and 9 miles N. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 412 souls, and 5,184 acres of land, including a large portion of sandy heath, forming an open sheep walk. The Duke of Grafton is owner of the soil and lord of the manor, which was formerly in two parishes, and had two churches, but that dedicated to St. Martin, has been in ruins more than a century. The other Church, (St. Gregory) is a neat structure, with a tower and four bells. The consolidated rectories of St. Gregory and St. Martin, valued in K.B. at 7 11s. lOd. and 8 5s. 5d., are united with that of Euston, in the patronage of the Duke of Grafton, and incumbency of the Rev. J. D. Hustler, M.A. The tithes of Barnham have been commuted for about 400, and those of Euston for 296 12s. 6d. per annum. Between these parishes and Thetford, is a row of 10 or 11 tumuli, supposed to mark the scene of the sanguinary engagement between king Edmund and the Danes, in 870. The Duke of Grafton and the rector support a small school, for the education of poor children. The Poor's Land is held on leases for nearly a thousand years, granted in 1736, and now held, one rood by the rector for 10s., and 3a. by the Duke of Grafton for 2 per annum.
    Baker John, corn miller
    Banham Edward, parish clerk
    Banham Mary, schoolmistress
    Chadd Misses M. & M.
    Cooper Mrs. E.
    Davey Mr. William, Barnham Cottage
    Davey Thomas, carpenter
    Deeks Edw. victualler, Grafton Arms
    Debenham Edmund, shoemaker
    Edwards John, beer seller.
    Grieve Rev. John, M. A. curate
    Juler John, shopkeeper
    Lusher Thomas, blacksmith
    Wade John, gentleman
    FARMERS.
    Cooper William, Hill House
    Edwards Frederick, West farm
    Johnson William, North farm
    Nunn John

    Barnham in Kellys 1879 Directory.
    Barnham is a parish and scattered village and station on the Bury and Thetford railway,
     Barnham Station circa 1910
    Barnham Station circa 1910
    provided by Footsteps

     2 miles south from Thetford, 9 north from Bury St Edmunds and 86 from London, in the Western division of the County, Blackbourn Hundred.
    St Gregorys, Barnham
    St Gregorys, Barnham
    provided by Footsteps

    The church of St Gregory which has been restored by the Duke of Grafton, is a small building. The register dates from 1684.
    A little north of the village are the ruins of the church of St Martin, which has been dilapidated for at least a century, but the greater part of the square tower is still remaining. There is a windmill for corn.
    Parish Clerk, Edmund Banham
    Duke of Grafton's School, George Bell, master; Miss E Rowden, mistress
    Railway Station, Robert Hoggar, station master
    Plows Rev William MA [curate], Rectory
    Bolingbroke John, shopkeeper
    Debenham George, shoe maker
    Edwards Alfred, farmer, West farm
    Lusher Mary (Mrs), blacksmith
    Minns David, shopkeeper
    Newdick Thomas, farmer
    Scott Alfred John, Grafton Arms
    Spratt George, miller & farmer
    Turner George, farmer

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:15:58 GMT