• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    BARNARDISTON in 1844, is a scattered village, about 5 miles N.W. of Clare, and N.E. by E. of Haverhill, has in its parish 1130 acres of fertile land, and 217 inhabitants, including Monks-Risbridge, an Extra-parochial farm of 85 acres, and 10 souls, 1 1/2 mile N. of the village, belonging to William Turner, Esq., and occupied by Mr. Simon Golding. Barnardiston gave name to a family whose several branches had seats at Kedington, Brightwell, Wyverston, and other places. They held the manor till the latter part of last century, but it is now held by Mark Teverson, Esq. A large portion of the soil belongs to other proprietors, some of whom are residents. Monks-Risbridge was given by Thomas de Woodstock, Earl of Buckingham and Duke of Gloucester, (sixth son of Edward III.) to Pleshy College, in Essex. The Church (All Saints) is a neat fabric, with a tower and five bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 7. 10s. 5d., and in 1835 at 191, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Val. Ellis, for whom the Rev. William Syer officiates. The poor parishioners have nearly an acre of land let for 20s. a-year; and they ought to have a share of Vernon's Gift,. as noticed with Great Wratting.
    Jarvis James,victualler, Red Lion
    Ling John, beerhouse & shopkeeper

    Farmers. (* are Owners.)
    *Ambrose Thomas. Barnardiston Hs
    Chapman Jacob, Clare Charity farm
    *Chapman William
    Baldry John
    Golding Simon, Monks Risbridge
    *Purkis Joseph
    Pearl Edw, Hall
    *Teverson Henry, Francis Farm

    Barnardiston in Kellys 1879 Directory.
    Barnardiston is a parish, about 5 miles north west by west from Clare and 3 north east by east from Haverhill, in the Western division of the County, Risbridge Hundred.
    The church of All Saints has chancel, nave, porch and tower containg five bells. The register dates from 1576.
    Monks Risbridge, was formerly extra-parochial, but a parish in Risbridge union, a mile and a half north of Barnardiston church; but there are neither houses or inhabitants.
    Barnardiston School Board, clerks, Messrs Ellison, Burrows & Freeman, Haverhill. Board schools are now (1879) being built.

    Wynter Rev Geo Ellis BA [rector]
    Bailey Elijah, farmer
    Clark Walter, beer retailer
    Garrad Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer
    Hammond James, Red Lion, & shopkeeper
    Teverson Henry, farmer & landowner
    Teverson Henry jun, farmer & landowner, Barnardiston Hall

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:17:32 GMT