Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK pub history, and London.

History of Suffolk - Aldringham-cum-Thorpe 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

ALDRINGHAM-cum-THORPE.
ALDRINGHAM is a parish and small straggling village, in Blything hundred and union, Framlingham and Saxmundham county court district, rural deanery of Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Ely, East Suffolk, 4 miles south-east from Saxmundham, and about 3 northwest from Aldborough. The hamlet of THORPE, which joins it on the eastern side, is united with this parish, the two being described as Aldringham-cum-Thorpe. The church of St. Andrew is built in the Saxon style, and was formerly thatched and had a tower, which, from want of sufficient repairs, became so much dilapidated that it was taken down, but the church is in good repair: it consists of a nave, and has a slated roof and new ceiling: the interior is quite plain, but well seated, and the western end has been entirely rebuilt, partly at the expense of Lord Huntingfield, the remainder being defrayed by a general subscription of the parishioners: a small belfry for 1 bell has also been erected at the west end of the church. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value 59, from Queen Anne's Bounty, and 13 acres of land, with a small endowment of 10 from Lord Huntingfield, held by the Rev. Robert Taker, M.A. The village of Thorpe, the adjacent hamlet, is an assemblage of about forty fishermen's huts, intermixed with a few tolerable houses, bordering on the sea-shore on a bleak unsheltered beach. South of Thorpe runs the Hundred river, forming a shallow basin or haven. On the left of the road, near the village of Thorpe, is an enclosure called Chapel Field; there still remain some vestiges of a chapel, which has long since fallen into decay. There is a Baptist chapel at Aldringham. Here is a National school attended by about 77 boys and girls. A pleasure fair is annually held on Coldlair Green, a mile and a half west, on the 11th of December. Lord Huntingfield is lord of the manor, and the principal landed proprietors are Lord Rendlesham and Miss L. Shuldham. At Aldringham Green is a barrow. The population of Aldringham, Thorpe, and Potter's Street (a small village in Aldringham parish) amounts to 471 souls, and the parish contains about 1,233 acres of sandy soil.
Letters through Saxmundham, which is also the nearest money order office
National School, Miss C. Rowe, mistress
CARRIER Sawyer passes through Aldringham on his route to Aldborough at 2 on thursday, returning same day at 6 p.m. to Halesworth


Brand Rev. Joseph [Baptist]
Garrett Mrs. Aldringham house
Milbourne F. W. esq
Chard Joshua. Fisherman &owner. Thorpe
Chason Charlotte (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Thorpe
Coles James, farmer
Freeman Thomas, shopkeeper
Gowing Thomas, farmer, Thorpe
Hunt Samuel, farmer
Kemp Charles, Parrot & Punchbowl
Kemp Daniel, blacksmith
Kersey Charles, farmer
Milbourne F. W. surgeon
Murrell James, farmer
Nunn Isaac, farmer
Ralph John, Cross Keys
Turner Misses, farmers


And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:12:48 GMT