The History of Suffolk site

Search the London & UK Pub History site and Street directory by historical Pub name or street address. The Pub history site is a major historical street directory of London and the Southern area of the UK, listing many Pubs (either closed or open); and street name changes between about 1840 and about 1940.
Please Contact: Kevan with any updates and additions to the site.

Please help me out with mapping the Games for London - Rail Travel Accessibility in London in 2012, please. I need stories, pictures and feedback. This will all be added to the gamesforlondon.com site Thanks, Kevan

site search by freefind

History of Suffolk - Aldborough 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

Sitemap

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

ALDBOROUGH (or ALDEBURGH) is a parish, seaport, borough, railway station, and bathing-place, in Plomesgate union and hundred, Framlingham and Saxmundham county court district, rural deanery of Orford, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk, 94 miles from London, 42 from Colchester, 24 from Ipswich north-east, and 7 south-east from Saxmundham. It is pleasantly situated in the valley of Slaughden, sheltered by a steep hill, with the river Alde on the west, whence the town derives its name. There is a haven for small vessels engaged in the fishery for cod, soles, lobsters, and sprats, as also in the coasting trade. There is also a custom house, coastguard station, brewery; and boat building is carried on. A market was formerly held on Wednesday and Saturday, but it has been discontinued. The corporation of the borough consists of two bailiffs, elected annually, twelve capital burgesses, elected for life, and other officers, A corporate session is held yearly during the month of September. The income of the body is about £240, arising from 200 acres of marsh land. The church of St. Peter and St. Paul stands on the top of a hill westward of the town, and has been restored: the chancel has been entirely renewed, and a magnificent stained window, representing The Four Evangelists and The Adoration of the Lamb, has been placed therein as a memorial to the late Mrs. Kendall; the church contains many fine monuments, the most notable of which is one to the memory of the poet Crabbe, who was born here; it consists of a tableted pedestal, surmounted by a bust of the poet, executed by Mr. Thurlow, of Saxmundham: a very fine organ was erected in 1864, by Walker and Son, of London, at a cost of nearly £400: the churchyard, from its elevated situation, commands a view of the North Sea. The register commences in 1691. The living is a vicarage, annual value £383, with residence, in the gift of Vernon Wentworth, Esq., and held by the Rev. Henry T. Dowler, M.A. There are also two chapels, the one belonging to the Open Communion Baptists, and the other to the Particular Baptists. Aldborough is much resorted to in the summer for bathing. There is a beautiful walk along the beach of nearly 2 miles, and the terrace on the hill behind the town commands a delightful prospect. Many very pretty villas have been erected facing the sea, which are let as summer residences. There are two commodious hotels, the ' White Lion,' under the proprietorship of Mr. Wm. Hayward, which stands on the beach, with a frontage so extended that nearly every room in it faces the sea; and the 'East Suffolk,' in High street, conducted by Mr. Wm. Pepper. There is a public library and reading room, situated on the parade, much resorted to by visitors; the library is well selected, and contains many standard works. On the sea-shore stands a small ancient building, known as the Moot Hall, in which the early deliberations of the corporation are supposed to have been holden: it has recently undergone considerable restoration, by Phipson, of Ipswich. In this parish the crag formation peculiar to Suffolk and Norfolk is very fully developed. A regatta is held annually early in August. There is a National school for educating 200 boys and girls, and likewise an infant school. The river Alde runs south by Orford, parallel with the sea about 10 miles hence before entering the ocean. Vernon Wentworth, Esq., is lord of the manor. The parish contains 1,782 acres, rated at £5,818; and the population in 1861 was 1,710.
HASLEWOOD is about 3 miles north-west, and near the navigable Alde, containing 1,937 acres of land, and in 1861, 91 inhabitants. There are three large farms, and there was formerly a chapel, now in ruins. On the river side are sand pits.
SLAUGHDEN QUAY lies to the south.
Letters are delivered from Aldborough
Parish Clerk, James Dancer, Back street
P0ST& MONEY ORDER OFFICE & POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK.—Horatio Salton, postmaster, High street.
Money order office open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Delivery at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m
INSURANCE AGENTS:—
Alliance Life & Fire, James Smyth, High street
Liverpool & London & Globe, Thomas Parritt, High street
Phoenix Fire, William Downing, High street
Reliance & East of England Mutual Life, Joseph Buck, High street
Royal Farmers' & General Fire, Life &Hail, Newson Garrett, Church hill
Western Life, William Redgrave, jun. High street
Westminster Fire & General Life, John Taylor, Railway station
PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS:—
Custom House, Edwd. Geo. Willes, principal coast officer
Coastguard, Captain Earle, R.N. inspecting commander;
Lieut. John Douglas Ramsey, R.N. chief officer
Gas Works, William Garrard, secretary
CONVEYANCE.—Omnibus (James Lipscomb's), to meet all trains
CARRIER TO SAXMUNDHAM.—George Smith, tuesday & friday, at 1 p.m., returning same day at 6 p.m
WATER CONVEYANCE.—Newson Garrett's traders to & from Brook's wharf, Queenhithe

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Adair Sir Robert Shafto, hart. Little Casino
Basham Mrs. Swiss cottage
Begbie Rev. Mrs Hamilton
Blackader George Charles, esq
Bowles Alfred, esq. White house
Bunniss Mr. Edward, High street
Cressy Theodore Grant, esq. Uplands
Davidson Septimus, esq. South lodge
Davies Mrs. Pavilion
Dowler Rev. Henry T. M.A. [rector], Church hill
Earle Captain, Hill house
Fisher Augustus, esq
Fletcher James, esq. Fort green
Garrett Newson, e«q. Church hill
Hele Carroll, esq. Wyndham cottage
Hele Nicholas Fenwick, esq. High street
James Captain Henry, Wyndham house
James Mrs. Rhodes, Wyndham house
Ramsey Captain, R.N. High street
Roxburgh Francis, esq. Beach house
Thelluson Col. Arthur John Bethell, J.P.. Great Casino
Wentworth Vernon, esq. Beach
Wright Mrs. Fort green

COMMERCIAL.
See Traders in 1865


The historical trade directory and census listing of all of London, Essex, Kent, Suffolk, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Sussex, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire Oxfordshire, and Dorset. If you are searching for a historical address, try the census and street directory database. This is a Victorian view on the streets of london and the south of England.

And Last updated on: Friday, 24-Feb-2017 00:40:30 GMT